Quick late morning Fish Bites for your consumption. I apologize for the lack of them recently, though I blame the Marlins for keeping all of the news on the field for my Fish-Caps.
- First, personal notes. To preview the upcoming series with the New York Mets, I did two radio show discussions. One was with Matthew over at Stache Today, and the other was with Steve Keane of The Eddie Kranepool Society for BBA Baseball Talk, the BTR podcast for the Baseball Bloggers Alliance. I’d like to thank both Matt and Steve for talking to me, I had a blast discussing baseball, Mets, and Marlins with you.
- The Marlins recently signed first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz. I’m not sure what their plan is for the veteran first baseman, but I imagine he will stay in the minors in case of an injury to either Gaby Sanchez or Jorge Cantu.
- Two players on the Marlins team, John Baker and Dan Meyer, offered their congratulatory thoughts to Dallas Braden, he of the perfect game and “don’t cross my mound” attitude. Congratulations to Braden, it was quite a feat. In fact, the feat was ridiculous that Jack Moore of FanGraphs notes that it had a 15.2 in a million chance of happening.
- The Marlins players in the big-league level are excited to see Mike Stanton. I have my own views to share with you a little later.
- This happened a little while back, but Andrew Miller, alongside two relievers, threw a no-hitter for the Jupiter Hammerheads in the South Atlantic (Sally) League. That’s nice, but it was against Single-A hitters and Miller still walked six, though he struck out six as well. Color me unimpressed.