Have not this done in a while, but today we will continue today with “Marlins Way”:A Look Around the League. This segment will go up every Saturday morning. We will examine the whats going on with our division foes and stay caught up in their news. Let’s get started.
- The big news last week was that the Washington Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman agreed to a big 6-year $100 million contract. The deal extends Zimmerman through 2019, adding six years to Zimmerman’s existing contract in a deal announced Sunday. The deal includes a full no-trade clause and a $24 million team option for 2020.
- The best news for the Nationals this off-season had to be Wilson Ramos being saved from his terrifying kidnapping. With Ramos back behind the plate, Stephen Walker, of District on Deck, examines the Nationals catching depth.
- Stephen Strasburg says he hopes to live up to the hype. He is armed and ready to make his comeback from TJ surgery.
- Phillies manager Charlie Manuel is not amused by the MLB’s playoff expansion. Manuel had this to say about the extra wild card. I like it, so sucks for you Charlie!
- John Stolnis of That Balls Outta Here takes a look at the Phillies best case/worst case scenario with their starting rotation. As a fan of a team that is likely going to be chasing the Phillies, I root for the worst case scenario!
- It looked as though Ryan Howard was going to make a speedy recovery. Now, we do not know when he will take the field again. It turns out Howard has an infection near his surgically repaired Achilles. We wish him a speedy recovery!
- Mets fans do not have a lot to look forward to in 2012. They do have their ace finally back and healthy. Johan Santana pitched to live batters for the first time in five months on Thursday and according to Santana, the results were good.
- Matt Kaufman of Rising Apple gives us some fantasy baseball relevant Mets players in 2012. Here’s a hint, there are probably a few good hidden gems on the Mets roster.
- Also on Rising Apple, Matt argues that the Mets are better suited to carry two lefties in the bullpen. If you look at some of the left handed hitters in the NL East, you would have to agree with him. The Marlins might potentially carry 3.
- Spring Training is here, writes Carlos Collazo of Tomahawk Take. Read what he has to say about what you can expect from Braves Spring Training.
- Carlos also tells us that the Braves need to extend catcherBrian McCann soon. I half disagree with him. McCann is one of the best catchers in baseball, and if the Braves were not a division rival, I would agree with him completely.
- Lastly, Carlos also tells us why it is a bad idea for the Braves to trade disgruntled starerMike Minor. Minor is a very talented pitcher and the Braves would be foolish to trade him without receiving top talent in return.
Topics: Atlanta Braves, Brian McCann, Johan Santana, Miami Marlins, Mike Minor, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals, Wilson Ramos