Fresh off the team’s first series win of the season, the Miami Marlins are ready to welcome back their manager Ozzie Guillen from his five-game suspension. The Marlins out-spoken manager was disciplined for his recent comments about Fidel Castro to Time Magazine.
The Marlins will welcome the Chicago Cubs to Miami to visit Marlins Park for the first time. This will be the first time that the two squads face off since completing a major trade in the off-season. The Cubs sent oft-troubled right handed pitcher Carlos Zambrano to the Marlins for first round bust Chris Volstad. Neither pitcher is expected to make an appearance in a game this series.
Chicago Cubs (3-7) @ Miami Marlins (4-6), April 17-19, Games 11-13
NL East Standings
Stadium: Marlins Park
Five-year Run PF*: N/A
Five-year HR PF*: N/A
Left field line—340 ft.
Left-center field—384 ft.
Center field—416 ft.
Right-center field—392 ft.
Right field line—335 ft.
*Five-year regressed park factors provided by Patriot here
Projected Pitching Matchups
ZiPS In-Season Projections
|Proj. FIP||Win%||Marlins||Date||Cubs||Win%||Proj. FIP|
|Lineup||Player||Current wOBA||Proj. wOBA v. RHP||Proj. wOBA v. LHP|
Continuing with what we have done for every series previews so far, here is a look at the questions that Jordan Campbell of Fansided’s Cubbies Crib answered for me about his Cubs.
- Ozzie Guillen will be making his return as the Marlins manager against one of his long time rivals, the Chicago Cubs.
- With Ozzie’s return, the circus should be arriving in Miami. I expect a lot of media attention and a large group of protesters.
- Josh Johnson has struggled in his first two starts, but he hopes to put that behind him and pick up his first win of the 2012 season.
- Ryan Dempster will go against JJ. Dempster played for the Marlins between 1998 and 2002.
- Hanley Ramirez is 7 for his last 9. He will look to continue his hot hitting Tuesday night.
- The second game of the series will feature the Cubs ace, Matt Garza. The Marlins will need another strong start from Buehrle to have a chance to win this game.
- Buehrle has received just 1 run from his offense over his first two starts. If Garza is on his game, do not expect Buehrle to get any help Wednesday.
- The third game has the most intriguing match-up. Jeff Samardzija will go up against Ricky Nolasco.
- Samardzija had a very strong first start and will look to build on that. Nolasco had a good first start, but looked shaky last time out.
- This will already be the fourth series against an NL Central opponent for the Marlins.
- Giancarlo Stanton is still looking for his first home run of the season.
- The Marlins will need Gaby Sanchez to get out of his current funk, out of all the Marlins regulars, he has the lowest wOBA through 10 games.
April 20-22: @Washington Nationals
April 24-26: @New York Mets
*April 27-30: vs Arizona Diamondbacks
*Get your tickets now from TiqIQ.
Tags: Anthony Rizzo Bret Jackson Carlos Marmol Carlos Zambrano Chicago Cubs Chris Volstad Emilio Bonifacio Gaby Sanchez Geovany Soto Giancarlo Stanton Hanley Ramirez Jeff Samardzija John Buck Jose Reyes Josh Johnson Josh Vitters Logan Morrison Mark Buehrle Matt Garza Miami Marlins Omar Infante Randy Wells Ricky Nolasco Ryan Dempster Starlin Castro Travis Wood Welington Castillo