The topic of Giancarlo Stanton‘s future with the Miami Marlins has been a hot topic, dating back to the Marlins firesale from November of 2013.
Earlier this week, we learned that the Marlins have not yet brought any extension talks to the table. The team reach a one-year pact with Stanton for the 2014 season, to avoid arbitration.
It’s questionable if Stanton would even be willing to sign a long-term extension with, as he has been said to be unhappy with the Marlins decision to sell off his teammates after the 2012 season. His agent, Joel Wolfe, suggested that Stanton prefers to take it year-to-year with the Marlins and hit the open market after the 2017 season.
“From the outset, I think it was in everyone’s interest to try [to] reach a fair and amicable settlement on a one-year contract,” Wolfe told MLB.com. “We accomplished that. Now, Giancarlo can focus exclusively on getting ready for the season. He is pleased with the result and [is] looking forward to Spring Training.”
Marlins GM Dan Jennings told Jim Bowden of Sirius XM MLB Network Radio that the Marlins would like to work out a contract extension with Stanton sooner rather than later.
Jennings @marlins told us they have communicated with Giancarlo Stanton their desire to sign him to a longterm deal the soonerthebetter XM89
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) January 23, 2014
This is news that most Marlins fans are sure to be thrilled about. However, most know to temper expectations about anything for Stanton until they have a better idea if he’d be willing to accept any sort of deal with the Marlins.
The Marlins have nice building blocks in Jose Fernandez and Christian Yelich, but the team’s future is a lot brighter with Stanton under contract for the foreseeable future. While both Fernandez and Yelich both have bright futures, they still have to prove themselves in the league, something Stanton has already done.