Good morning, Marlin Maniac readers and welcome to Morning Catch, the daily morning news and notes column from MarlinManiac.com.
More from Marlins News
- Miami Marlins news: Another target gone
- Why didn’t the Miami Marlins sign JDM?
- Miami Marlins rejected Boston‘s trade offer
- Miami Marlins are pursuing Michael Conforto
- Miami Marlins need to spend to win
MLB All-Star Game 2015: Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordon still lead All-Star voting
Giancarlo Stanton may not be having the start to his season that he had last year, but he is still among the best outfielders in the National League. On the other hand, Dee Gordon has not been hitting as well as he did in the first month, but he still has had the hottest start of any second baseman in baseball. Put that together and a Miami Marlins team that has struggled in the early part of the season still has two players who are in line to start at the 2015 MLB All-Star Game next month in Cincinnati.
Since that article, the voting has continued to go Stanton’s and Gordon’s ways. Stanton hit two more home runs, putting him at a league-leading 21 bombs on the season, which continues his record pace to start the year. Gordon is still hitting .356/.381/.421 (.349 wOBA), and while that is a stark drop from what he was doing at the beginning of the year, it is still a very effective batting line for a second baseman who has played well defensively. (Read More Here)
Walter Villa, Miami Herald
The Marlins kept things in the family — twice — during the final day of the 2015 MLB Draft on Wednesday.
They drafted two sons of former Marlins players — Nova Southeastern outfielder Alexander Fernandez, whose father, Alex, was a pitcher and former first-round pick, and Griffin Conine, whose dad, Jeff, was a first baseman and outfielder.
Alexander was drafted in the 25th round.
Griffin Conine, a lefty-hitting outfielder from Fort Lauderdale’s Pine Crest, was drafted in the 31st round. That’s a lot better than his father, who had a productive 17-year major-league career despite getting picked in the 58th round by the Royals in 1987. (Read More Here)
‘Girls didn’t go to games,’ said Dee Gordon on why he didn’t like baseball initially
Nick Birdsong, Sporting News
Marlins second baseman Dee Gordon’s father, Tom, played major league baseball, but Gordon wasn’t sold on the game for most of his childhood.
“It looked boring and girls didn’t go to games,” Gordon told VICE Sports in a recent mini-documentary on his rise to stardom. “High school basketball games, the girls were there. Football games, the girls were there. I was like, ‘Ain’t no girls at the baseball games. Why should I play baseball?’. We didn’t grasp the concept of it.” (Read More Here)
Stanton, Phelps lift Marlins to win
For all of their staggering distance, too many of Giancarlo Stanton’s major league-leading home runs have had minimal impact on the scoreboard.
Moving the slugger from third in the order to the clean-up spot was the remedy prescribed by Marlins manager Dan Jennings. The way the ingredients came together Thursday, Jennings’ recipe for conjuring runs would have been a hit on the Food Network.
It provided a spicy opening to the homestand as Stanton belted his 22nd home run, a three-run smash in the first inning, and drove in four in a 6-0 win against the Rockies at Marlins Park. (Read More Here)
Report: Jarred Cosart could return to Marlins next week
Jarred Cosart, who has been on the disabled list since May 14 with vertigo, may finally be reuniting with the Marlins.
According to MLB.com, the 25-year-old righty pitched what the Marlins hope will be his last rehab start on Thursday night and he’s expected to be rejoin the team sometime next week.
In addition to lacking Cosart from the starting rotation, the Marlins have also been without Henderson Alvarez, ace Jose Fernandez, and Mat Latos, who is scheduled to make his first start since May on Saturday. (Read More Here)
Follow Marlin Maniac on Twitter @MarlinManiac for all your Miami Marlins news, opinion and analysis!