Miami Marlins Morning Catch: Jarred Cosart to Bullpen upon return?
By Ehsan Kassim
Good morning, Marlin Maniac readers and welcome to Morning Catch, the daily morning news and notes column from MarlinManiac.com.
More from Marlins News
- Miami Marlins news: Another target gone
- Why didn’t the Miami Marlins sign JDM?
- Miami Marlins rejected Boston‘s trade offer
- Miami Marlins are pursuing Michael Conforto
- Miami Marlins need to spend to win
What’s next for Cosart? Miami weighing options
Joe Frisaro, Marlins.com
NEW YORK — What’s next for Jarred Cosart has yet to be decided.
Initially, the Marlins were leaning toward having the right-hander rejoin the rotation sometime next week. But as of Wednesday, nothing has officially been announced as to whether Cosart will return to the club or make another rehab assignment start.
“To be determined,” manager Dan Jennings said.
On the disabled list retroactive to May 14 with vertigo, Cosart threw 5 1/3 innings on Tuesday night in a rehab outing for Triple-A New Orleans at Round Rock. The 25-year-old gave up four runs on seven hits with two walks and six strikeouts in a no-decision. (Read More Here)
Miami Marlins Draft: Interview with SS Giovanny Alfonzo
Last Wednesday was the first round of the Major League Amateur Draft. We all know the Miami Marlins took first baseman Josh Naylor in the first round and have spent time talking about what kind of player Naylor can become.
But the Miami Marlins had draft picks outside of the first round and they could become as important to the team’s future as Naylor. Some of them are unknown guys, like a Tom Koehler, who was selected in 18th round by the then Florida Marlins in 2008.
Today, I had the privilege of talking to short stop Giovanny Alfonzo, the Miami Marlins 21st round pick from this the 2015 draft. Alfonso has a strong baseball family pedigree and has already become famous for embarrassing one of the Marlins’ division rivals earlier this season.
Read the interview to find out more details and learn more about a guy that could impact the Marlins’ big league team one day. (Read More Here)
Marlins continue to cultivate generational fan base
Christina De Nicola, Fox Sports Florida
MIAMI — When fans filled Marlins Park for the first two games of a home-and-home set, cheers for the New York Yankees echoed just as loud as the ones for the Miami Marlins.
So signifies the growing pains of a franchise that came into existence in 1993.
While the Yankees organization has been around for 113 years and 27 World Series title, the Marlins — once under the name Florida — are the second-youngest team, beginning the same season as the Colorado Rockies.
One is the storied franchise with generations of fans who learned to root for the home team — or in some cases winning team — since they were in the crib. The other has had ups and downs over 23 years, but has still captured two World Series, including one in 2003 against said Empire. (Read More Here)
Ichiro still producing for Miami Marlins late into MLB career
April 2nd, 2001: A baseball superstar from Japan by the name of Ichiro Suzuki breaks onto the American baseball scene as a right-fielder for the Seattle Mariners. He recorded two hits in five at-bats in his Major-League debut, quickly gaining favor wearing jersey No. 51 for a Mariners team that would go on to amass 116 wins that same season.
Ichiro carried the hit-collecting trend throughout his rookie season. The 27-year-old NPB-to-MLB sensation kept racking up the hits and flashing the leather, which resulted in collecting some accolades as well during his first campaign: a Gold Glove, a Silver Slugger, an American League Most Valuable Player award and a Rookie of the Year award. (Read More Here)
What to make of Giancarlo Stanton‘s 2015 season so far
For many reasons, perhaps 325 million reasons, the Miami Marlins wanted Giancarlo Stanton to call Marlins Park home for the rest of his career and become the face of the franchise. Yes, there is an opt out clause in his contract that he can, and probably will, use after six seasons, but the Marlins could owe Stanton the whole third of a billion dollars over 13 years.
The Fish and Giancarlo Stanton came to an agreement even after he had been hit in the face with a Mike Fiers fastball in September and not stepped into the box since the incident. They trusted that he could reproduce similar numbers to his 2014 campaign in which he was a cut above the rest in the National League and would have probably been crowned the MVP if not for the injury and an outrageous season by Clayton Kershaw.
But just how much of that serious chunk of change is he worth right now? As of today, he leads the major leagues in home runs (24) and runs batted in (62), and is second in strikeouts (84). He is batting .265 and leads the Marlins with 43 runs scored. While Stanton’s average has risen significantly over the last two weeks, it is still lower than his career average and the on-base percentage he has posted is the lowest since his rookie year in 2010. (Read More Here)
Follow Marlin Maniac on Twitter @MarlinManiac for all your Miami Marlins news, opinion and analysis!
Next: Giovanny Alfonzo Interview