Stat Wrap 5/31: Marlins, Fernandez Outlast Pirates, Cole
Fans wanting a pitcher’s duel in this one sure didn’t walk away disappointed.
Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez squared off against Pittsburgh ace Gerrit Cole, matching each other pitch for pitch for six scoreless innings, before the Fish finally broke through in the seventh inning to beat the Pirates 3-0 Tuesday night at Marlins Park.
More from Marlins News
- Miami Marlins news: Another target gone
- Why didn’t the Miami Marlins sign JDM?
- Miami Marlins rejected Boston‘s trade offer
- Miami Marlins are pursuing Michael Conforto
- Miami Marlins need to spend to win
That six-inning chess match though gave way to an adrenaline filled ninth inning, however, as the Pirates loaded the bases with nobody out before Marlins closer A.J. Ramos was able to pull off an “Alfonseca-style” save to deliver Jose his sixth win of the month and move the club back to two games over .500.
And now we Stat Wrap:
- Ichiro Watch: On a two-hit night, Ichiro moves to 31st all-time with 2,963.
- Ozuna Watch: Can’t keep a good man down. One game on-base streak.
- Jose’s line: 7 IP, 6 Ks, 3 H, no walks, no runs.
- Cole’s line: 6.1 IP, 3 ERs, 9 H, 2 BB, 4 Ks.
- David Phelps bounced back from his last game with 2 Ks in a scoreless eighth.
- Ramos earned his 16th save of the season.
- The Marlins outhit the Pirates 10-5.
- Seven of those ten hits came from the top three spots in the order.
- That said, Miami had 9 LOB in this one. Luckily, Pittsburgh was 0 for 3 with RISP.