Fish Fans, one of these days, we’ll get that no-hitter.
The Miami Marlins rode six no-hit innings from starter Wei-Yin Chen to an early lead, and relied on some Christian Yelich and Nick Wittgren magic late, to win the game and the series on the back of a 4-3 extra-innings victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates Thursday night at Marlins Park.
More from Marlins News
- Miami Marlins news: Another target gone
- Why didn’t the Miami Marlins sign JDM?
- Miami Marlins rejected Boston‘s trade offer
- Miami Marlins are pursuing Michael Conforto
- Miami Marlins need to spend to win
Chen turned in one of his finer efforts of the season in this one, but unfortunately decided to have it on the day that both David Phelps and A.J. Ramos needed the night off. Dustin McGowan managed a scoreless eighth after allowing the runners he inherited from Chen to score, but Kyle Barraclough was unable to lock down his first save of the season, resulting in three innings of bonus baseball in the finale.
Nick Wittgren handled all of them.
Three hitless, baserunnerless innings later, and Wittgren had his first major league victory, thanks to Yelich’s RBI double to end it.
And now we Stat Wrap:
- Ichiro Watch: Two More Hits! Thirty-five shy of 3,000.
- And he stole a base. The Marlins don’t do that very often post Dee.
- Chen’s Line: 6 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 5 Ks.
- That hit and the earned runs all came in the 7th.
- Nick Wittgren earned his first MLB win.
- With three scoreless, no-hit innings.
- Giancarlo Stanton went 1 for 3 with an RBI double.
- Matt Joyce had an RBI double in the 7th for the second game in a row.
- Martin Prado went a whopping 0 for 6.