Stat Wrap 7/5: Marlins Power Past Mets
The Big Guy just might finally be returning to form.
Giancarlo Stanton personally provided a post Fourth of July fireworks display by contributing all five runs of offense, thanks to a two HR night. That proved more than enough to even this series at a game a piece, thanks to a 5-2 Marlins victory Tuesday night at Citi Field.
More from Marlins News
- Miami Marlins news: Another target gone
- Why didn’t the Miami Marlins sign JDM?
- Miami Marlins rejected Boston‘s trade offer
- Miami Marlins are pursuing Michael Conforto
- Miami Marlins need to spend to win
Pitching wise, Wei-Yin Chen turned in his most dominant start in over a month, limiting the Metropolitans to just three hits and a single run across seven innings of work. Fernando Rodney continued to concern fans of his newest club though by allowing a solo shot in the 8th, to not-exactly-a-slugger Alejandro de Aza no less, but A.J. Ramos held steady in the 9th to pick up his 25th save of the season.
Rodney and Ramos represented 50% of the Marlins All-Star contingent, as rosters were announced shortly after the start of play yesterday evening. Joining them are Marcell Ozuna, who enjoyed a two-hit night in response to his first All-Star selection, along with Tuesday night spectator Jose Fernandez.
The story was Stanton though, finding his power stroke just as the team’s top power hitter so far in Justin Bour missed his third consecutive game due to an ankle injury. His two homer night marked the first time- remarkably- he’d done so in over a year.
And now we Stat Wrap:
- Giancarlo Stanton clubbed his 16th and 17th HRs of the season.
- He also drove in all five of the teams runs.
- And has a hit in four straight starts.
- Marlins SP Wei-Yin Chen matched a season high with 7 IP.
- Chen currently has an ERA of 4.83; easily a career worst if it holds.
- It’s also easily the worst ERA amongst the four SP who have stayed in the rotation all season.
- However, the Marlins only have a higher win percentage with Fernandez.
- Also, last night was his third game in 2016 allowing three hits or less.
- That matches his total for 2015 and 2014 combined.