The Miami Marlins and 29 other teams have been told the start of the Major League Baseball season has been placed on hold even longer this year.
"Per MLB.com, “Major League Baseball announced Monday that the start of the 2020 regular season will be pushed back even further following Sunday’s recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).” The move affects the Miami Marlins and the other 29 Major League teams."
After the news broke last week of all spring training activities being halted because of the coronavirus, there are new reports about the health risks involved, which has led to the decision by the league office.
More from Marlins News
- Miami Marlins news: Another target gone
- Why didn’t the Miami Marlins sign JDM?
- Miami Marlins rejected Boston‘s trade offer
- Miami Marlins are pursuing Michael Conforto
- Miami Marlins need to spend to win
"As stated on MLB.com, Commissioner Rob Manfred conducted a conference call on Monday with all 30 Clubs, and in a statement released later in the afternoon, the league announced that Opening Day “will be pushed back in accordance with that guidance” from the CDC."
There is no timetable set yet for the start of the season. Other professional and college sports have followed the same path as MLB in shutting down spring sports, either entirely or until further notice.
The Marlins were in the middle of a 12-6 record in Spring Training when the news came of the shutdown of all Grapefruit league games.
The Marlins announced on Sunday that everyone who was included in the team’s Major League camp was being sent home by team CEO Derek Jeter, who wanted players to be as safe as possible as new news had come out about the potential factors involved and the spread of the coronavirus.
"Per MLB.com, “Major League Baseball announced Monday that the start of the 2020 regular season will be pushed back even further following Sunday’s recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).”"
Two Marlins prospects, outfielder Monte Harrison and pitcher Nick Neidert were still in camp, hoping to make the team’s 26-man roster. Miami had made two cuts in camp, shaving their roster to 48 players prior to the work stoppage.
"“We will continue to monitor ongoing events and undertake the precautions and best practices recommended by public health experts, and urge all baseball fans to follow suit,” MLB said in the statement. “MLB extends its best wishes to all the individuals and communities who have been impacted by the coronavirus.”"
Where does your fandom rank?
See 2019 Rankings