Marlins fall in extras to Rays
By Tyler Wilson
Tonight’s Marlins-Rays series finale showcased two strikeout artists dicing up the opposing team with the starters combining for 19 strikeouts. Tyler Glasnow pitched excellent outside of the veterans Corey Dickerson, Starling Marte, and Jesus Aguilar. Trevor Rogers making his third MLB start racked up 10 strikeouts and one walk. The rookie only allowed three runs all from solo shots. He worked himself deep into the game going 6IP. I don’t know how good Trevor Rogers can be, but he is most definitely better then anyone would have predicted in his first 3 starts.
The game went into extras for the third time this season as the bullpen was able to keep the Rays scoreless after Rogers left the game. The Marlins were able to take the lead in the 10th with an RBI from Matt Joyce to knock in Lewis Brinson. Brandon Kintzler came in for the save and gave up a leadoff RBI double to Ji-Man Choi then lost the game on a sacrifice fly with the final score being 4-3.
The Marlins are now 17-18 as they head into a crucial 3 game series against the Braves.
Jazz Chisholm collects his first hit on a single to right field in the 7th and then was caught stealing as he slid past second base. He always provided an excellent defensive play in the 8th to save a base hit. The young shortstop acquired from the Zac Gallen trade is highly regarded in the Front Office for his speed/power combo. The youngster is full of energy and will be one to watch as September continues.
Player of the Game:
Corey Dickerson continues his war on the Rays, but was unable to secure the win after being responsible for two of the Marlins early runs. Dickerson was signed to provide consistency in the lineup as a disciplined hitter and has begun heating up after slumping earlier in the season. If this team plans on contending then the veteran will have to continue this streak in the next two series.
In the first Corey Dickerson picked up a walk and then Starling Marte blasted one out of the park for his second as a Marlin. Corey Dickerson then proceeded to hit a triple in the third and was then brought up by Jesus Aguilar who went opposite field against the shift. The team had an opportunity to take the lead in the 9th but was unable to capitalize on a leadoff double from Lewin Diaz. Matt Joyce was able to beat the shift to knock in Lewis Brinson to continue the 2 out Marlins magic but was stranded on first.
– The Rookies (Diaz, Chisholm, and Alvarez) were taught a lesson by Tyler Glasnow today. The trio combined to go 0-7 with 5Ks against the Tampa Bay Ray’s ace.
– I have no idea how good Trevor Rogers can be. I’d say he would be the best reliever in the bullpen if he was put in that role.
– Starling Marte is what Monte Harrison ceiling would be. He will be around next year and the team will go from there. The perfect piece for the playoff push.
– Brian Anderson has a 30% strikeout rate. I like Brian Anderson, but I don’t love Brian Anderson. The team has no depth at the third base position which will put them in a position in the next couple years to determine his future with the club.
– The bullpen went 3 scoreless with Yimi Garcia looking impressive after striking out 4 straight.
– Brad Boxberger has quietly posted a sub 2.00 ERA and has proven to be a great signing with Brandon Kintzler out of the pen. I spoke with a couple of the young pitchers in the bullpen and both veterans teach the young guns a lot.
– Jazz Chisholm is more than a shortstop. I’ve watched Tatis on and off the field and he reminds me a lot of the superstar with the energy he brings.
Tomorrow’s Action: Marlins @ Braves at 1:10 PM EST. Jose Urena vs Ian Anderson.